Monday, December 1, 2008

Recipe-Carol's Pistachio Pie

Recipe

I've shared this recipe with several friends and they've enjoyed it so much, I thought you may find it one of your favorites too. My daugher-in-law makes a similar dessert, absolutely yummy, but isn't diabetic friendly.

This pie is great for Diabetics. One small slice, not the whole pie. Ha! I could almost eat the entire pie myself. But I never have and won't at any time in the future.

Prepare and enjoy this delicious dessert for Christmas and you'll be sharing the recipe also.

Carol’s Pistachio Pie

1 small container Cool Whip
1 box Sugar Free Pistachio instant pudding mix
1 can (20 oz.) chilled Crushed Pineapple (No sugar added) (drained –SAVE –the juice)
1/8 cup lemon juice
1 cup small pecan pieces (these taste better if toasted lightly, then cooled)
1 deep dish baked pie crust s OR 2 regular size baked crusts OR 2 Graham Cracker crusts

If you want it mounded over use 1 crust, otherwise I usually use 2 crusts, it freezes better that way.

Drain pineapple well, so you get all the juice, into a large mixing bowl, set aside pineapple. Add lemon juice to the bowl of pineapple juice. Whisk in quickly 1 box Pistachio pudding (dry mix) until it thickens, add pecans and pineapple. Fold in Cool Whip. Pour into crusts. Let chill for a couple hours.

*********
Depends on how much Cool Whip I want to use, sometimes I use a bit more (about a cup) from another container. Not too much though or the pie isn't flavorful enough.

For the holidays, if you want to dress it up, add a few Maraschino Cherries–well drained – on top in the shape of a tree, bell, cross, maybe a sprig of mint, etc. Or use your imagination. If you don’t eat all the pie within a couple days, you should freeze, as the crust (either one) will tend to be soggy. I let it set out about 30 min., slice what I need, then refreeze. Cover tightly with saran wrap and foil before freezing.

No comments: